25 January 2011

Not Without Love

1. Romans 13:8 says, "Do not owe anyone anything except to love one another, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law." I have meditated on this scripture so many times over the past five years. What does it mean to only owe LOVE to those around you. That's led me in many directions, but most specifically at this point in my life, I feel like a lot of that love deals with honesty and transparency, and these rely heavily on what I say. I don't like breaking promises and I cannot stand to make a promise I know I cannot keep. This might explain my inability to make decisions. Maybe I have commitment issues? I don't think that's quite the problem. I struggle with my words and think them over so much sometimes because I want to make sure my words are honoring my heart - God - but when emotion takes over, it's so hard not to make a promise or give my word when it shouldn't be given.

2. I read a verse last Friday night that I've never read before:
Romans 2:11 There is no favoritism with God.

 3. I've been on a Jimmy Needham kick for the past few nights after hearing "Dearly Loved" at Cups and Mugs - what a powerful song. I haven't found one of Jimmy's songs that isn't transparent and upfront about God in a real way - there's no sugarcoating or dancing around the truth. It's a 20-something-year-old guy with a guitar singing the Truth. At the end of each album he adds what is called the Benediction. Each one is a poem that prompts each listener to examine his or her heart, mind, and intentions. This specific benediction is from Jimmy's second album, "Not Without Love." It is powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment