17 January 2011

Semester 6 of 8

I spent a full day thinking on and off - mostly off - about what my next memory verse should be for this year (Check out Beth Moore's blog for more information).
Side note: I'm thankful for accountability because I'm absolutely no good at memorizing or remembering or being intentional about the scripture if I'm not accountable to someone or something about it. So thank you to my sweet siestas - on the blog, on twitter, in Texas, or right here in Rome. It's beautiful seeing how God moves in you.

My first scripture had a lot to do with my awful inability to keep my mouth shut which you can read about here, but I'm warning you: It's not pretty.

I sat for a good twenty minutes flipping through the Word looking for something that caught my eye or really hit me. Nothing. My mind kept wandering to other things and somewhere deep inside I thought it was dumb to LOOK for a scripture. God ordains things. Let Him bring it.

As soon as I sat back in my chair I heard John Waller's "Perfect Place." If you haven't heard any of his music, I definitely recommend you checking it out - wonderful music and mind-blowing lyrics.
This particular song says this:
Thou will keep me 
In perfect peace when
My mind is stayed on you
Peace flowing like a river
Peace never to be stolen
Peace that you give 
Is not of this world
My mind is stayed on You

That's it. 
Thou will keep me in perfect peace when my mind is stayed on You.
You will keep in perfect peace the mind that is dependent on You, for it is trusting in You.
Isaiah 26:4

I may be stretching this a little, but later in the same chapter of Isaiah is the verse by which 268 Generation is based. 268 is a "Jesus movement" - this generation is set apart for God. We are a chosen generation.
And God will keep our minds in perfect peace if we depend on Him.

Classes can't stir us. Money can't make us fear. Circumstances and situations with friends, family, coworkers, classmates, professors, banks...none of this can sway us if our minds are stayed on Christ.

memory verse #2 
Isaiah 26:4
"Thou will keep me in perfect peace when my mind is stayed on You."

No comments:

Post a Comment