29 November 2010

heaven in CD-R form

Of course I have homework to do, but I'm just not going to right now. After giving BC an hour after lunch to figure out where my package was (they hadn't lost it, I'm just not patient), I have it in my hands. Well, technically it's beside my keyboard here at work, but it's in my possession.

Christmas has become more and more controversial over the past few years. My family struggles financially, but mom always wants to buy what we want, or just enough to appease us. Christmas is technically pagan. Very pagan.
I can hear your sighs. Why am I getting into this? I'm not sure, but I have a few things to say and I want to say them without someone interrupting. This seems to be my best option.

Thanksgiving is pagan, too. In essence, nothing is worshiped besides the heavenly sweet potato souffle and warm feeling of being with family and falling shortly into a nap the size of a bear's hibernation. Don't get me started on Black Friday.
Fourth of July celebrates the founding of this country - a country "founded" on "Christian" beliefs. Though it has fallen far from these God-centered views, we still celebrate it, defend it, and honor it. Veteran's day and Memorial day are far from religiously centered. We don't sacrifice to idols, but we sure do build monuments to the dead. Shrines, if you will. We still celebrate their lives and honor their deaths almost as if they were deities.
Christmas is pagan with a Messianic twist. Pagan worship twisted and turned, shaken and stirred, to focus on the Messiah. We build temporary monuments - trees, mounds of presents, nativity scenes. We dress up. We listen to special music. We gather.

We scatter.

There are undertones to Christmas that I dislike with a passion. The blatant consumerism and materialism slathered on top of the ignorant Christian "reasons for the season" distorts the distortion into a harsh reality. Confusing? Would satan have it any other way? Yet, consequently, Christmas coincides with the celebration of Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, and many other religious celebrations, none of which are quite Biblical, yes?
I'm not knocking any of them, but rather attempting to bring us all to the same level - imperfect and quiet clueless.

I love giving gifts more than almost anything else. I love writing cards, sending letters, wrapping packages, and knowing the person on the other end is going to feel special...they are special. Does this have to be done in winter, amidst the bustle of other gift-giving religious holidays? No. It's just emphasized now. I've been known to give "___day presents" and all sorts of other gifts, but there's something special about giving gifts in December.

Knock Christmas, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, and any other religious holiday if you wish, but don't be a scrooge.
Conformity and peaceful relations are not the same thing.



If you haven't checked out John Mark McMillan's The Medicine, I definitely recommend it. It's a beautiful blend of good lyrics, musical talent, and a powerful love.

No comments:

Post a Comment