21 January 2010

I was reading a post on [Beth Moore's Blog from a few days ago about a family in Haiti. It was the wife's recount of the earthquake this past week. She said she sat down with her Bible and read Psalm 46 - entirely fitting for the events and time. I couldn't help but pull out my own Bible, my handy guide, and read it for myself. Amidst the lines and highlights, no matter how crooked, I found a trembling comfort.
And of course, my head was filled with song after song that must find their base in this passage. From Kari Jobe's "Be Still" to Sonicflood's "My Refuge" and so many others. The one song that stuck, however, is a pretty old hymn, if I'm not mistaken. It might just be a southern gospel song. The two often run together in my head.
The chorus goes a little something like this:

There is a river that flows from deep within,
There is a fountain that frees the soul from sin.
Come to this water, there is a vast supply.
There is a river that never shall run dry.


Which in turn reminds me of Jordan Johnson's song "Preserve Me," which says "I keep running after broken cisterns that never satisfy."

We run so often after virus-infected, stagnate waters when we have the unending waters of life, that do not stagnate - they remain the same but are not polluted. They are pure.

One thing Pam, the lady from Haiti, said in her post was this:
If I offer them myself, I offer nothing. But if I offer them Jesus, I offer everything. For who better to understand their pain and suffering than He who endured the pain and suffering of the cross. Who better to comfort than the Father who watched his own son as he was crushed under the weight of the sins of mankind.

I don't even know what to say after that...so I will leave you with one more song.

" will bless the Lord forever
I will trust Him at all times
He has delivered me from all fear
He has set my feet upon a rock
I will not be moved
And I'll say of the Lord

You are my shield, my strength
My portion, deliverer
My shelter, strong tower
My very present help in time of need

Whom have I in heaven but You
There's none I desire beside You
You have made me glad
And I'll say of the Lord

You are my shield, my strength
My portion, deliverer
My shelter, strong tower
My very present help in time of need
"
-Darlene Zschech

No comments:

Post a Comment